Google

Thursday, July 12, 2007

MINI 4WD: The Death of a Hobby

Several years' worth of trial-and-error, searching - and researching - for the right parts combinations to build cars that could at least complete the full three laps. Of hunting for hard-to-find cars, parts and accessories. Of customizing those hard-to-find cars - irreversibly damaging some, in the process. Of travelling more than 20 kilometers, come rain, come shine - 15-pound toolbox in tow - just so I can test my car setups. Of bearing with greedy merchants, all trying to earn bigger money by creating demand, through stock manipulation. Of keeping my patience with equally greedy race organizers, who ask so much by letting a race last up to the wee hours of the morning so they could earn more through the number of race entries, but only give so little in prizes. Of participating in disorganized race events. Of seeing the same faces win races, over and over and over.

But the fun has disappeared. Competition replaced by gambling. This wasn't what I wanted to be in, this wasn't how I envisioned things would become. I wanted to race with hobbyists who were into this hobby as a source of entertainment during their free time, not with gamblers who made it a source of income by entering every race event they get to hear of. I made some friends, and saw the ugly side of people.


1 comment: