Google

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Distractions, Distractions

As mentioned in my previous post, we have not been paid at work for more than a month now. And this has been both a major inconvenience and a source of distraction, day in and day out.

I've experienced a couple of Holiday Seasons without a job, but this is an entirely different situation. It is more difficult when one is expecting something to come in and it doesn't, than when one isn't expecting anything arriving at all. Unlike some of you who might be reading this, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I do not have a trust fund nor a multi-million dollar inheritance. Nor am I an overpaid executive in some large corporation.

It has become tedious, to try to explain to the people I owe money from, that my paycheck has been moved to yet another week. Day in, and day out. Not everybody can be as understanding and considerate as I am, when somebody owes me some money. Bills and payables have started to pile up.

Looking for another job isn't as easy as it may seem to some of you. Because, in this country (guess where I am?), you need money to earn money. How else am I going to travel around the metro to show up for a job interview, if I don't have any money to take me anywhere in the first place? And if I do ever land on a new job, it's this silly "tradition" in the local employment industry that a new employee has to wait for one month before he can receive his first paycheck.

One month? So where do I get the money to feed me, house me, and get me to work and back home everyday, for an entire month? Isn't this why I was looking for a new job in the first place - for the money?

So I am stuck here in this dead-end job, along with my colleagues who are as broke as I am now.

And so, to fend for my everyday expenses, I have been selling my action figure collections on eBay. Yes, the same ones I have worked hard for and traveled around just to look for. The same ones that had me staying glued to the computer monitor, trying to snipe them at eBay. And I am selling them cheap, just so they could be converted to much-needed cash quickly. Shit. I'm selling my collections at a loss.

One step forward, two steps back.

When will this nightmare ever end?

No comments: