Google

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

NOSTALGIA: The A-Team Action Figures

Back in 1984 (I feel so old), toy maker Galoob released the A-Team action figure line to coincide with the television series which was popular at the time. And, naturally, me and my friends had to get our hands on these. My neighbor had one first, then I had mine a few weeks after Christmas.

We both purchased the 3.75" Soldiers Of Fortune 4-pack, since none of us really cared about the Bad Guys 4-pack that was also available. Oh well. The more, the merrier.

Each figure came with 10 articulation points (could actually be 12, if one considers that the arms can also swing from side to side in addition to rotating up and down), and some weapons and accessories:




Hannibal included a demolition backpack, detonator, and a rifle (plus that grin on his face).












The Face came with a flamethrower and a rifle (plus a grin on his face also).











Aside from the grin and the rifle, Murdock came with a mortar launcher with a stand.












B.A. Baracus came with an ammo backpack, and that rifle again (they say it's an M-16 but I think it looks different). It's also interesting to note that B.A. is the only action figure in this set who is not wearing a grin on his face (he does look a bit catatonic, though).







Me and my friends had tons of fun with these. One of them would always use Hannibal, since he feels like he was the leader of our group; his younger brother was a pretty face and would always use The Face. My best friend was the tough one in our group, and so would use B.A. Baracus. Me? I'm a nutcase.

These toys were on the brittle part, though. Their thumbs snapped off rather quickly, and we were left with mostly thumbless figures. Notice also their jaundiced hands (except for B.A.), owing to the fact that the flesh color were only painted on. This also chipped off in no time.

And so, after the summer of 1985, G.I Joe came into our world. What happened to these figures? I guess my Joes buried them somewhere in the yard, along with my Matchbox collection, Action Jack/M.A.C., and Star Wars action figures.


Images courtesy of toymania.com.

No comments: